Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (WELCA) - A Place For You
WELCA meets the first Tuesday of the month at 10:30a.m. - 12:00p.m. (immediately following Women's Bible Study) in classrooms 4, 5 & 6.We are currently helping support Back Pack Buddies and Epiphany Preschool with monthly donations. All women are invited to attend! If you have any questions, please contact Terri Lange at 770-845-0958.
WELCA'S Purpose Statement: “As a community of women created in the image of God, called to discipleship in Jesus Christ, and empowered by the Holy Spirit, we commit ourselves to grow in faith, affirm our gifts, support one another in our callings, engage in ministry and action, and promote healing and wholeness in the church, the society, and the world.” This purpose statement is carried out in many ways:
- Discipleship: At WELCA, participants practice seven marks of discipleship: praying, studying, worshiping, inviting, encouraging, serving, and giving.
- Justice: We, through you, address justice issues through Human Trafficking awareness materials and through our racial justice advocacy resources.
- Thankofferings: Thankofferings are a long standing custom among Lutheran women. Many women set aside small amounts at home throughout the year and then bring together their gifts with those of other women at the end of the year. The money helps support the ongoing ministries of the churchwide women’s organization.
- Faithful Friends: The “Faithful Friends” program supports the Women of the ELCA General Fund, which makes it possible for your churchwide organization to act quickly and flexibly in response to any need that may arise.
- Katie’s Fund: Raising up bold women of faith. Katie’s Fund is an endowment that supports ministry in three areas: leadership development, global connections, and living theology. In 1997 the Women of the ELCA established this fund to honor the legacy of Katharina von Bora Luther, raise up bold leaders for the churchwide women’s organization, and support bold and creative ministry for generations to come.
- Gift Planning: Women of the ELCA got started in the early 1800s. Ladies Aid circles formed to help congregations build their first sanctuaries and pay pastor’s salaries. When the larger church would not support single women as missionaries, women’s mission circles raised the dollars and sent women to serve overseas as nurses, teachers, and translators. Today, women give millions each year to Women of the ELCA and other ELCA ministries to support advocacy and education, eradicate malaria, resist racism, improve maternal and child nutrition, help disaster victims, and grow the church.
- Special Initiatives: Raising up healthy women and girls are a top priority. We do this by: educating women to care for themselves physically, spiritually, and emotionally, sharing knowledge and experience in order to prevent women and girls from continuing today’s health risks tomorrow and advocating for more research, particularly to hasten toe elimination of heart disease and stroke in our lifetime.
- Scholarships: We offer scholarships in two categories: Scholarships for Lutheran laywomen and Scholarship for ordained ministry.